Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Why can't I just get it??

The Bible doesn't say "Find a church, get comfortable, become best friends with the Minister's wife, and then reach out to the community and show God's love." We are first and foremost called to love our neighbors as ourselves.  Because when you come to the final scene of your life, and you are standing before a perfect and blameless God; no one else is there with you.  You are all alone.  You are accountable for yourself, and you can't lie.  There's no, "Oh, well just let me tell you what I was going to do tomorrow!" or "But I had so many good ideas!" If you failed to turn you're thoughts into actions when you still had the chance, you're out of luck.

"Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it?" James 2:14

Do not think that you have to find your perfect place in life before being able to comfort the needs of others. Serving is about surrendering everything that you have, no matter what it is, so that some one else may feel a touch of God's love in their life.  There's always going to be someone who has it worse off than you, no matter how awful you think you have it.  There's always going to be excuses.
The Bible has a lot to say about excuses...

"Rescue the perishing; don't hesitate to step in and help.  If you say, 'Hey that's none of my business,' will that get you off the hook? Someone is watching you closely, you know - Someone who is not impressed with weak excuses." Proverbs 24:11
"And now, children, stay with Christ. Live deeply in Christ. Then we'll be ready for him when he appears, ready to receive him with open arms, with no cause for red-faced guilt or lame excuses when he arrives."
1 John 2:28

And the list goes on...

Eden, stop making excuses!!  I'll serve when my small group wants to do something... I'll love others when I'm in Mexico... I'll be nicer to people when my youth leader is watching... But God, I just really don't want to help anyone today! Can't you see, I'm tired. I just want to be alone. God, that person hasn't showered all week, you want me to talk to them? I'll go find them later... God, why do I always have to do the gross work? Why can't I ever do something glamorous where someone will see me? Why is this so hard?

Just stop.

No more.

Get off your butt and get off your excuses.

I never said that following me would be easy, but I said that I would never leave you or forsake you. Your reward in heaven will be far and above greater than you could ever imagine if you will just obey my words.  Just start, don't wait. There's people all around you that need me, in your school, on your street, even in your church.  Reach out, even a simple act of small kindness can change the course of someones life.  The time has come. Because when it comes to the end, and you are standing in front of me, I desperately want to reach out to you with open arms and welcome you into the kingdom. 

"My counsel for you is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you've been given.  You received Christ Jesus, the Master, now live him.  You're deeply rooted in him. You're well constructed upon him.  You know your way around the faith.  Now do what you've been taught.  School's out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving." Colossians 2:7-9

1 comment:

  1. really good post eden... i love you! let's get off of our excuses TOGETHER! you help me, and i'll try my best to help you! :)

    ReplyDelete